Saturday, May 21, 2011

PAPA ROACH vs. MANDISA

If you read my blog, then you know my main goal is to help keep parents informed of the dangerous teen trends that are happening today, but I'm also always on the lookout for ways we can encourage our teens, because it is hard to be a teenager in this day and age (I'm so glad I'm not one). 

The one thing every teenager loves is music, but not all music is created equal.  Instead of inspiring our teens, some music can bring them down. I know when my daughter, Hollie, was self mutilating, she always listened to Cut My Life Into Pieces by Papa Roach and I actually found myself dancing to it, because it had a great beat (great head banging music).   But I started wondering, "why did she listen to this song over and over" (I was getting tired of it), so I stopped and actually listened to the words, and I was horrified!





For a depressed teen, this song could send them over the edge.  I know Hollie would deny  it, and she has, but I really believe it was this song that she listened to over and over everyday that put  her  in a state of mind where she became suicidal.  So as parents, we really have to listen to the words of the music our teens are listening to.  So I am always on the lookout for songs that encourage our teenagers, like Britt Nicole's, Headphones, which I featured in December.

I have found another song  that I just love by Mandisa, and I know everyone loves Mandisa.  We watched her rock the stage each week on American Idol's Season 5 and sat in disbelief when she was voted off, but God had other plans for Mandisa and her powerful voice.

I came across her song, He Is With You.  Of course, our teenagers need to know that we are always there for them no matter what they do - good, bad or worse - they have to know they can depend on us (their parents).  But they also need to know that even if we can't be there, they are still not alone...God is always with them, and he loves them no matter what they do - good, bad or worse - and  he already has the plans for their life laid out for them even if they can't see it now.

And yes, there will be times when you will struggle with your teenager, and you need to know that you are not alone either.  It's no secret that Hollie was a troubled teen, and as a single mom dealing with her, I often felt as if I was alone...but of course I never was.  God was always there guiding me (even if sometimes I didn't think so).  He is With You can also be encouraging for  parents.

Listen to the words...He Is With You!




Mandisa has a new song, Stronger, and when your teenager is feeling down and defeated this song is so encouraging and uplifting!





All parents know their teens want to fit in, follow the crowd, and listen to the music everyone else is listening to, and a lot of popular music today is just fine (I listen to a little bit of everything), but we have to pay attention and, again, really listen to the words of the songs our teens are listening to.  And sometimes they may need us to guide them in the right direction, away from the music that can hurt them (and yes, music can hurt).  Music is such a big part of a teenager's life.

If you have a teen who suffers from depression or low self-esteem, wouldn't you rather they have Mandisa and her music blaring through those headphones?




To learn more about Mandisa, visit http://mandisaofficial.com/









17 comments:

Five Foot Mama said...

What a great idea for a blog! My little guy is only 15 months, so I obviously haven't thought about any of this stuff yet, but I'm sure I'll have to start sooner than later!

I'm following you through the voiceboks blog hop. I am currently running my very first giveaway for a baby blanket. I would love if you would enter it to either keep for yourself or give to a friend! I hope you'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

God job Mama! Your replacing the destructive with constructive!

Mehjabeen Arif said...

This would definitely help my friends with teens.. Very informative post..

New to your space and Happy to follow u :)

Do visit mine as time permits
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

Rebecca Dunning said...

I love your blog and I think we need to do everything we can to lift up and encourage teens and tweens. following! www.rebeccalynndunning.blogspot.com

A Hootie Hoot said...

I've found myself singing and dancing along to songs without thinking about what they actually mean. You get pulled in by the beat or whatever and don't stop and think about the message it might be sending.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Ms. G said...

You are absolutely right. My oldest daughters problems were definitely influenced and encouraged by some of the things she listened to.

Mandisa is Wonderful!

Morgan said...

Music is so very, very powerful! It's so important to fill your mind with things that build you up ... great post!

Visiting from Voiceboks :)

life...just saying said...

I like the blog. Very interesting and informative. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate the thoughts. I'm returning the follow.

RJ, the HOPE Coach said...

I too had a teen who became suicidal. Its tough! Kudos to you for being a mindful parent and paying attention to the music that was pushing your daughter in the wrong direction.

It gets better, it really does!

~RJ, the HOPE Coach
http://jrrsehopecoaching.com

MaricrisG said...

Yes, music can be very influential to the way kids think more than most parents know. It's like a mild form of brainwashing and you're right, we should be very vigilant even with the music they listen to. Thank you for sharing your story!

Audra Michelle said...

You are so right. Anything we fill our minds with through any media has a powerful effect on our hearts and minds. It is so important to keep things positive!

Unknown said...

Music is so powerful and we do need to be careful with it. I listened to that papa roach song time and time again in my sad teen years.

Unknown said...

Amen! I love Mandisa. She is so encouraging. I especially love planning a run to Mandisa only. It puts a huge ole' smile on my face.

btw - you should tweet this to her @mandisaofficial. She's great about answering her tweets!

frugalistablog said...

This is great! Thank you! My daughter is 12 and we listen to most of the music she likes together. It's nice to know there's someone out there like you to give me a heads up on stuff.

Quirky Homemaker said...

Definitely would rather have them listen to Mandisa!

Addicted to Recipes said...

Our oldest is just 5 but I am really starting to take note of the lyrics now in songs...so many things that can influence them n so many ways. You are so right! Thanks for this post :-)

Anonymous said...

It feels good to find such an interesting topic on the internet like this one nowadays. I was greatly interested with what you have shared and posted with us. Thanks for this anyway. spice gold

Related Posts with Thumbnails