Sunday, April 5, 2009

TEEN TREND - "ZIPPERS"

(This blog is written to inform parents & others of the disturbing trends of teenagers.)

Do you know what your teen is putting in his/her lunchbox? "Zippers" are commercially produced "Jell-O shots" (cups of fruity flavored gelatin and alcohol), the sweet, chilled concoctions that, in the past, could only be found in bars and liquor stores. "Zippers" are dangerous, because they come packaged in containers that look just like any other snack pack a teen puts in their lunchbox and it makes it easy for teens to sneak alcohol into school.

THESE GELATIN CUPS HAVE BRIGHT COLORS AND CATCHY NAMES, LIKE:

  • Blue Hawaiian
  • Melon Head
  • Purple Hooter
  • Fuzzy Navel

Zippers tastes a lot like Kool-aid.

EACH CUP CONTAINS 12% 24-PROOF ALCOHOL.

The "Zippers" packaging is clearly marked with a government alcohol warning, but in a crowded, busy school cafeteria, once the lid is ripped off, it looks just like Jell-O.

"Zippers" are sold in bars, liquor stores, and GROCERY STORES in eleven states, including
TEXAS, GEORGIA, TENNESSEE, KENTUCKY, VIRGINIA, INDIANA, OHIO, NEW YORK, CONNECTICUT , MASSACHUSETTS AND WISCONSIN.

FACTS:

  • The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse reports that alcohol is a factor in the four leading causes of death among persons 10 to 24: motor vehicle crashes, unintentional injuries, homicide, and suicide.
  • Once teenagers start drinking, they are more likely to experiment with other substances and engage in other risky behavior.
  • 75% of eighth graders and 89% of tenth graders believe that alcohol is readily available to them for consumption.
  • More than 40% of individuals who start drinking before the age of 13 will develop aclohol dependence at some point in their lives.
  • If the onset of drinking is delayed by five years, a child's risk of a serious alcohol problem is decreased by 50%.

Ok, I have to admit this trend is a new one for me. But if you live in one of the states listed above, you may want to see just how easy it is for your teen to purchase "Zippers".


http://www.acde.org/common/alerts/Zippershots.htm

10 comments:

Jenjen @GottaLoveMom said...

This is sickening. with all that ingenuity, why can't they channel it to a more constructive endeavor?
Who's monitoring these ?

Shanda said...

I had no idea...thanks for passing the info on. Clearly I need to read more of your posts!!

I was sorry to hear about the passing of your "trampoline" friend awhile back. While no one can take her special place in your heart, I am praying that God will bless you with anther one!! HUGS! Thanks for stopping by today!

adiaha said...

Jesus, I am no rush for my little ones to hit teen-age years. There is so much out there to trip them up. Not to mention all the ways they can easily get away with stuff even if I am a pretty hip and aware parent. Who would guess alcoholic pudding cups? YUCK, they must taste disgusting. My head hurts.....

Furious Mom said...

Never heard of these. I think I am a fairly informed parent but I guess not!

The Rambler said...

It's a scary thing.

It's almost becoming too easy for them to start early.

(shaking head)

I've been by your blog before and always find it VERY informative for parents! Thank you for that.

I'm a lot late but still wanted to thank everyone for visiting me on my SITS day!

xoxo~The RAmbler @ My Rambling Thoughts.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

That is CRAZY!!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning!

Dee-Zigns Handcrafted Jewelry said...

OMG - this is unbelievable. Now you can understand why so many homeschool.
Thanks for the information - I'll be passing it on to my friends with teens!

Custard Shoppe said...

Oh my gosh! I don't want my Maddy to get any older!!
Thanks for visiting our site!

ShellyH said...

That is horrible! I am glad our daughter is past that stage and is now 23.

Deanna Lynn Sletten said...

Wow, I've never heard of these before. I asked my kids and they haven't either (thank goodness). Great info - thanks.
DeAnna

Related Posts with Thumbnails