Sunday, June 6, 2010

YOUR TEEN AND EYEGLASSES



     "Look at four eyes!" "HaHa! You have four eyes!"  That is what I had to deal with when I was in the second grade and had to get eyeglasses.  It was torture!


     Having to wear prescription glasses isn't always considered cool, especially for a teenager who suddenly needs glasses. Unfortunately, problems with eyesight can develop at any age and left untreated can cause severe headaches and a decline in schoolwork.  There are certain signs and symptoms that your teen will demonstrate if their vision is going bad:
  • Trouble seeing objects far away
  • Squinting
  • Rubbing eyes
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Trouble reading
  • Sitting too close to the TV
     Glasses are used to treat refractive errors, which occur when the eye doesn't bend light properly. Three common types of refractive errors are:
  • NEARSIGHTEDNESS: Trouble seeing things far away.
  • FARSIGHTEDNESS: Trouble seeing things up close.
  • ASTIGMATISM: An abnormal curvature of the surface of the eye that causes blurred vision.
There are different types of professionals who provide vision care:
  • OPHTHALMOLOGISTS: Medical doctors, who specialize in eye care and treatment. Ophthalmologists prescribe glasses and are also trained to care for eye diseases and perform surgery. 
  • OPTOMETRISTS: Doctors of optometry prescribe glasses and treat vision problems and eye diseases, but they are not trained to perform surgery.
  • OPTICIANS: Trained to fill prescriptions for glasses and make sure they are properly fitted.  Opticians cannot diagnose or treat vision problems.
     Luckily, there are a lot of fashionable frames available in a wide variety of colors and styles that will make wearing glasses fun.  If your teen needs glasses, it is best to let your teen pick out frames that fit his/her style.  Buying glasses online is another option available, so your teen doesn't feel rushed or pressured into choosing the wrong frames.


FUN FACTS:

If your teen is feeling down about having to get glasses, remind him/her that there are many celebrities that make wearing glasses look very stylish:

















Drake Bell (Drake and Josh)























David Archuleta (American Idol)

















Lady Gaga (Singer/Performer)





Raven (Cheetah Girls, Raven)















Nick Jonas (Jonas Brothers)











Eminem (Singer/Performer)




Justin Timberlake (N'Sync)





GlassesUSA.com is the premier online retailer of prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses.  There mission is to provide the highest quality optical products at affordable prices all across the world.  They guarantee their customers the highest quality and most affordable  prescription eyewear because they own their laboratories, saving customers on every order. They pay less, so you pay less."

GlassesUSA wants to give you, my readers, a 10% discount off your next purchase.  Use the code mommy10 when prompted during your next purchase of prescription glasses.





23 comments:

Mrs. Mootz said...

Heck...it's even cool today to wear glasses with non-prescription lenses.

Stopping by from SITS to say hi!

Jessica said...

I agree with yummy mommy. When I went in Claire's over the weekend, I saw that they had an assortment of non-prescription glasses. Apparently, glasses are IN!

I found your blog through the MBC Follow Me club. I am now following!

I am still new at this blogging thing and am in need of new followers, so please follow me as well.

You can find me at:
http://mommyhoodnextright.blogspot.com

-Jessica a.k.a Nya's mom

Melanie said...

Stopping by from SITS....

I'm the momma to a 5 yo whose been wearing glasses since he was 3, due to a vision induced lazy eye! It hasn't been easy, but we're doing it! Cool glasses definitely make it easier!

Melanie
www.tutubugblog.blgospot.com

Marshmallow Circus said...

Great idea to let self conscious teens see people they think are "cool" wearing glasses. :)

Unknown said...

Both of my teen/preteen girls wear glasses, and I think they look adorable!
Visiting from SITS today!

Petula said...

I've been wearing glasses since I was in kindergarten (I'm in my 40s now) so I've heard every negative thing that was ever said to a child/teenager about glasses. I've found (with my oldest daughter who's now 19 and has been wearing since about second grade) that as long as she was able to choose the frame and it was something she liked then she felt comfortable.

Wanderlust said...

I'm voting for the Tina Fey look! Here from Blog Flow.
http://www.wanderlustlust.com

Deana said...

It seems like glasses are the new fad now whether you are supposed to wear them or not:)

I found you on blog flow and am now following! Great blog!
www.momstheglue.blogspot.com

Mama Hen said...

Hey there! I had to get glasses when I was a teen. I wish I knew Jonny Depp was sporting them back them. He, he, he. I am a new follower from Blogflow! Come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com

dawn said...

Saw you on Blog Flow...
just thought you might be interested in To Write Love On Her Arms- twloha.com- a group that supports a teen suicide hotline and peer-prevention awareness. A worthwhile cause and something every teen deals with in some way or another.

MultipleMum said...

As a glasses wearer, I loved this post! Four eyes can be cool (as per your pics). Thanks for stopping by :)

Unknown said...

Because of this post, I learned that there are different kinds of professionals who can give eye care. The difference between an optometrist and ophthalmologist is that the latter is trained for eye surgery while the former is not. Since I need reading glasses, I will visit my optometrist Indianapolis I.N. eye care provider.

Eyeglasses said...

Wow! I really love your blog. I have bookmarked this page so I can come back again to check it out. I just hope you keep up the good work. Anything about eyeglasses and I get excited. Thanks again.

Sherry Lebrun said...

Laura, there was a time when glasses are considered uncool. But today, i think majority of teens across the world realize the aesthetic value of glasses. Primarily because a lot of young celebrities use them. Both sexes have been using glasses to correct their vision and protect their eyes.

The extensive use of eyeglasses is even seen in large corporations and laboratories that follow the prescription safety glasses program. Fashionable yet sturdy glasses like Titmus prescription safety glasses breaks the stereotypical notion of glasses. They are very fashionable and fits an active lifestyle. Definitely a must have. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

cool!

Sherry Lebrun said...

Thanks for the information! Our eyes are the passages to our soul and the door to the truth. Our mouth may or can say lies but our eyes won't.

Oh! Made me realize, maybe that's the reason why poker players wear Wiley X prescription lenses to hide the truth about their cards on hand. On the other hand, some people wear prescription safety eye glasses to protect their eyes from unfriendly particles dancing on the air. And some wear them to better see and read things.

Unknown said...

Nowadays, wearing eye glasses are not just for those who have eye problems, but for all people as well. Before, people think that if you wear eye glasses, it will make you look so nerd but now, wearing them is one way of looking so fashionable. My daughters have eye problems so we went to some optometrists (Indianapolis, IN area) and have their own glasses. Indeed, they really looked so cute with the unique designs of the frames of their glasses.

Karina Chiodo said...

Teenagers are the ones who mostly use these kinds of eyeglasses. They're not just cute and trendy, these can also make you look pretty. My boyfriend's got that Drake-look actually. And he's super handsome with that!

Rebecca Hawkes said...

Hi. I just stopped by from voiceBoks. I read a few of your informative posts (I have tweens and already many of the issues are relevant). This post caught my eye especially because we are just starting vision therapy for my youngest daughter (she has strabismus, or wandering eye). They are letting her take a break from glasses, but she will need them again soon. She _hates_ wearing them - it is such a struggle. But part of her resistance to wearing them may have been that they weren't the right prescription. We just switched eye doctors. I didn't like the last one because he was the type to mumble and scribble things in his charts. I could never get him to look at me or answer my questions. Anyway, the new doctor is great. They gave her a _very_ thorough eye exam and then spent half an hour talking to me about the results. One of the things they discovered is that the glasses the previous doctor prescribed were all wrong. They were actually making her vision worse instead of better. So glad I switched!

SEO Experts Academy Bonus said...

I don't have problems with wearing glasses. I could remember some people recommend that I should take them off since I looked good without one. But I still wear them because my vision is blurry without one. And I agree to some comments that glasses are in nowadays.

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga
fila
supreme hoodie
golden goose sneakers
yeezy boost
cheap jordans
mbt shoes
kyrie 6
jordan shoes
christian louboutin outlet

pathiez said...

replica evening bags zeal replica bags replica bags from turkey

neyteigh said...

i thought about this designer replica luggage look at this website buy replica bags read the full info here aaa replica bags

Related Posts with Thumbnails