Monday, August 16, 2010

ARE YOU READY TO CHANGE THE WORLD?




Have you ever wondered how different teenagers from other countries are compared to your teenager? Do they listen to the same type of music? Dress the same? Do they text as much as your teen does?

Do you have an empty nest, but miss the joy and laughter of having a teenager around? The chaos? The hugs?  Have you ever considered hosting a foreign exchange student?

"EF Foundation for Foreign Study connects talented, enthusiastic high school students from around the world with caring families across the country. Together, we build bonds of friendship and trust that have the power to change the world."


BENEFITS:
  • Create a volunteer family - Everyone benefits  from being a host family.  You and your family gains exposure to another country; the culture, the food they eat, music, and traditions.  And the exchange student gets to experience all of America.  They will learn from you and your family.
  • Share your American pride - Living with your family will help an exchange student learn about the U.S.; our government, music, and our traditions.
  • Learn about the world - Hosting an exchange student allows you and your family to learn a new language and get insight into their world.  
  • Earn scholarships for study abroad - In exchange for hosting, your teenager becomes eligible for EF Foundation Outbound scholarships.  Your teen can travel to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Ireland, France or Germany.  This scholarship will gives your teen a chance to live with a host family, become fluent in another language, and learn about a different country and culture.
  • Receive discounts on educational travel - Your teen can also save money on any trip they take with EF Educational Tours, the leading educational travel company in America.  With EF's accedited, all inclusive tours, our teen's textbooks come to life.  They broaden their horizons, grow as a person, and enhance their prospects for college and beyond.
  • Save money at tax time - Families who host an EF Foundation exchange student are eligible to receive a charitable tax deduction when itemizing deductions on their tax return.
  • Change the world - When you host an EF Foundation exchange student, you gain the power to change the world, one student at a time.
RESPONSIBILITIES:

As a volunteer host family, you will welcome an exchange student into your home for an academic year or semester.  As a host family, you are expected to:
  • Provide a room, meals, and a stable family environment.  Students must have their own bed, and cannot share a room with a child under twelve.  They should also have a quiet place to study.
  • Have one parent in the family who is at least 25 years of age.
  • Undergo a thorough application process, including an in-home interview, background check, and submission of personal references.  This is standard procedure for all volunteers participating in youth-oriented programs.
  • Most importantly, host parents take on the role of second parents for their exchange student.
Becoming an EF Foundation host family is easy:

Step 1:  Apply. Go to http://www.effoundation.org/master/what/difference.asp
Step 2:  Select a student from 30 countries
Step 3:  Prepare for the big arrival


Are you ready to change the world?


11 comments:

sandy said...

No I don't miss the noise, the mess, or the chaos. lol
Loved my daughter, loved having her friends over ALL The time, our house is where they hung out. But, my cards punched; it's our time to have adult time now.

Sandy
Aug Chall

Heather Jones said...

That sounds cool! But I'm not the mom of a teenager yet....I'm sure it will come sooner than I'd like.

I'm following you now. Would so love a follow and a visit as well! :)

Mommy Only Has Two Hands!

Adriana said...

wow this sounds so cool. i would have loved this when i was a teen. thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Che said...

thank you for stopping by my blog Laura! I went on a foreign exchange once and stayed at the school I was studying at - I think I may have preferred to have a host family like yours! :)

Karyn Climans said...

Great idea! Are you hosting a foreign student and, if yes, how is it working out?

Jenn of PersonalFitCoach.com said...

I am seriously thinking about doing this. Perhaps in the fall of next year when my daughter enters first grade. Stopping by from SITS comment exchange forum on Blog Frog

Kristin said...

How inspiring! I remember my family hosting an exchange student when I was in high school myself, and it was a blast! Thanks for the reminder about it-maybe we'll look into it for next year.- Visiting from SITS! It's nice to meet ya, ~Kristin from Windy Poplars

Karen said...

Hopped over from SITS, BF! :> Our kidlets are not teens yet, but am sure it will be an adventure. While we've never hosted, I do remember the teens that were exchange students from other countries when I was a teen myself. Hope you are having a wonderful weekend! :>

Jane in AUSTRALIA said...

Great Post. I live in Australia and have been Host Mum to 64 students.
I started when mine were pre teen & just kept going. My parents also did this and now y grown children do.
We loved it. Made world wide friends and learnt so much.
a great idea for a post.
just leaving a litte #31DBBB love

Laura said...

For those who asked, I'm not sponsoring a foreign exchange student. I would love to, but friend of my daughter, her parents kicked her out, so she has been living with us since early July, but I do hope to sponsor a student one day.

Thanks for stopping by!

Laura

Gary sobers said...

Nice work is done in this article. I must appreciate the way you write this article. Keep it up. This post is attractive. Now its time to avail limousine service Dublin ca for more information.

Related Posts with Thumbnails