Sunday, March 20, 2011

TEENS TRENDS: TEENS & ONLINE REPUTATION


Last month, I featured a guest blogger, who discussed ways parents can keep their children safe from online predators.  Today's guest blogger, Amanda Stock from http://amandastock.com/, will discuss ways parents can keep their tween/teen safe from themselves.  Curious? Keep reading...

Picture this: You are 35 years old and married with a successful career. One day, like any other, you get an alert from a social networking website. Someone has tagged a photo of you. You click the link to see what photo it is. To your horror and embarrassment, it is you at age 16 standing in front of a mirror, camera in hand, wearing nothing but your underwear, and making the sexiest face a 16-year-old can muster up. You have no way to delete this photo since someone else has uploaded it, and it is quickly making its way to everyone in your social circle – family and business contacts included.

This story is not far fetched. In fact, within the next five to ten years, this scenario could become a reality for many of today’s teenagers.  With the increased popularity of online social networking and sharing comes the need for education on the importance of protecting your tween/teen's reputation.

Search engine results and social networking websites are now used widely by employers to screen candidates for job positions. Colleges and other institutions are not far behind. And it doesn’t just affect your professional life. Soon to be in-laws, first dates, and many others are using these same tactics to find more information about you.

HOW TO HELP YOUR TEEN PROTECT THEIR REPUTATION ONLINE:
  • Any image, video or other media you upload online can be saved by anyone.  Be selective about the media you upload and monitor what your friends and family upload as well.  If you find someone has posted something that may be compromising, ask them nicely to remove it.  Be sure to look at the details as well, such as a skirt that has a mind of its own or a shirt that is hanging low.
  • Choose your words wisely.  Facebook statuses and Twitter updates are stored in databases, along with any other content you share - your profile information, blog posts, blog comments, forums, and all social networking websites.  If you are having personal or emotional issues, avoid posting every detail online, especially in places everyone and anyone can see, like Twitter.
  • Google yourself once in awhile.  Type you name into Google, Yahoo, and MSN every few months and see what information is showing up.  Searching the first three pages is usually sufficient.  There are also tools available that will do this for you and alert you when new information shows up.
  • Create positive content about yourself and post it online.  This way, search results for your name will show information that you want people to know about you.
  • Most importantly be (or become) a person who doesn't get caught in compromising situations, which can be recorded and posted on the Internet.
  • Discuss this growing problem with your tweens/teens.  Ensure they understand and maintain boundaries when using social networking and user generated websites (forums, blog comments, videos, and web cams, etc.).  Don't be afraid to create social networking accounts and follow them so that you can keep a watchful eye on their activities.
These are great tips every parent should take time to discuss with their tween/teen.  We've all seen the horror stories, especially of girls sexting, and at the push of a button, their life can be destroyed.

Bio: Amanda Stock has over 9 years of online marketing experience and has help several businesses and individuals overcome online reputation crisis. She currently helps entrepreneurs build successful, result driven online businesses. Visit the links below to connect with her.

Links:












15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this important reminder. My 13 year old is just entering this stage. He doesn't have a cell phone or Facebook yet. But it is important for him to realize choices he makes now can effect him later. Though he now doesn't want me to blog about him at all! "Mom, my employers might read your blog one day!"

Irene said...

Wow--how scary! This will be a must-read for my daughter! Thanks for posting about this!

Gigi said...

Such good information. I'm going to stumble it so it gets exposure!

Thanks for coming by my blog on Monday!

Lioness said...

My daughter is only 4 years old. However, i am the acting mom for dozens of teen girls on a daily basis. Love your blog. Showing love from MBC. Please stop by my blog: http://lionessrebirthorg.blogspot.com/

Style, Decor & More said...

Great post! I have two teens who use the internet! I watch them every minute and know their passwords. When they are at school, I will occasionally check out their Facebook pages and make sure everything looks o.k. I trust them, it's just the other kids!

New follower from the blog hop!
Hope you can hop by and follow me!
http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

All good advice, what a great post!!!

I am a new follower from the thursday blog hop. I would love it if you could follow me back! Have a great Thursday, and I can't wait to read more!

Hope
http://www.peanutbutterandhopey.com

Shelly said...

I always worry about my son and the internet. He is only 3 so I am afraid what the internet will be like when he is older!! Great pointers!! I am your newest follower from Thursday blog hop! I hope you will come check me out! :)

http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/

http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/

JTWisdom said...

Good post. I have to keep an eye on my nieces and nephews because they do have a Facebook account.
Thank you for following my blog.

JTwisdom
http://bubblingwitheleganceandgrace.com

Unknown said...

Just found your blog. Stopping by from SITS. :)

trade4target said...

Thanks so much for this! I haven't been this moved by a blog for a long time!
You’ve got it, whatever that means in blogging. Anyway, You are definitely someone that has something to say that people need to hear. Keep up the good work. Keep on inspiring the people!
regards:
www.articleforfree.com

Nicole said...

Thank you for following my blog. I think yours is very interesting and very relevant. I'll keep reading!

safemeds said...

The first thing that parents should know. It is that which are the site that their teen visit more. Also modern pcs come with software that they can limit some websites with inappropriate content.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice, Laura! The scenario you exemplified, even though hypothetical, is really horrible. Well, it only shows that damaging our good image can sometimes be beyond our control. There will always be something that will pop up anytime. So it’s best to be careful with every data or file that we have, and also with every thought that we post on websites and social media, because it can reflect on what we are as a person or organization as well as one's reputation or credibility.

Fred Schafer

Blogger said...

Just received a check for $500.

Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can earn by taking paid surveys online...

So I show them a video of myself getting paid over $500 for filling paid surveys.

seoa4 said...

All kinds of survey companies and market researchers are offering signup bonuses to

recruit new panelists.

Remember, your membership can be shared with a friend or family member too!

By the way, a few minutes ago, I just checked my email and I got $390 worth of survey

offers for the next week. That means I could earn $390 simply by taking those surveys

on my computer.

Makes me wonder what I'm doing wasting my time sending these emails! :)

Anyways, I hope to see you sign up soon. I know you won't regret it!

http://www.takesurveysforcash.com?jamer7254

Related Posts with Thumbnails