Friday, June 24, 2011

NEW GRAPHIC CIGARETTE WARNING LABELS








The labels above are the new warning labels that cigarette companies are now required to put on all cigarette packages (starting in October 2012).  There are nine new warning labels in all.

"The 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act called for cigarette packages to include warning statements in large type covering half of the front and back of each package and graphic images showing adverse health effects from smoking."  Proposed in November under a law that put the tobacco industry under the control of the FDA, the new labels must be on cigarette packages and in advertisements starting in October 2012.

Seeing these new labels may not encourage smokers, especially long-term smokers, to give up smoking, but the main goal is to stop children and teenagers from starting to smoke.  According to the American Lung Association, each day 4,800 teenagers aged 11 to 17 smoke their first cigarette, and nearly 2,000 will become regular smokers. That is nearly two million teenagers annually.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius states, "We want kids to understand that smoking is gross not cool, and there is really nothing pretty about having mouth cancer or making your baby sick if you smoke."

More than 221,000 Americas will be diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011, according to the American Cancer Society. Nearly 157,000 men and women are expected to die from lung cancer this year in the United States.

While these new labels may disturb some people, all I have to say is "it's about time!"  We know teenagers pride themselves on looking their best. They believe they can't die. If we tell them "cigarettes can kill", they don't fully comprehend what that means. (Like Dr. Phil always says, the logical part of their brain has not fully developed.)  Maybe seeing these images every time they reach for a cigarette will make them think first!

What are your thoughts on these new labels?  Good? Bad?



http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/21/us-tobacco-usa-warnings-idUSTRE75K0OV20110621














16 comments:

Kelly (race_12_1) said...

I love it! In my town I would suspect well over 50% of teens smoke. Even the elementary school is taking cigarettes away from kids. The more we can do to discourage it, the better. We will just have to wait to see any impact.

SuperMom Blues said...

I am in full agreement!! I am so glad they are doing this. I was a smoker for almost 20 years and it was the hardest thing for me to give up. I was 13 when I started - yes THIRTEEN! Had labels like this been attached to the packs back then, I may not have ever started. Good for them for starting this!

Concerned American Citizen said...

I'm your newest follower. Thank you for stopping by the blog hop. :)

Connie said...

Hi! Following from the HFF Blog Hop. You can find me at http://greenfamily-life.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I think anything that prevents even one kid from starting to smoke is a good thing. It baffles me that kids still smoke today, even after all they are taught in school. You are right that the logical side is not developed yet, but still!! I keep stressing how bad cigaretts are for your health and how so many people have died senselessly because of them. A visual aid can't hurt to bolster my argument! Thanks for bringing up a very important topic! I found you on VoiceBoks! I am now a happy follower!

S said...

Good, but I wonder if they will really work. My Dad smokes and the written label messages without pictures are pretty graphic (Ontario) and he still isn't deterred. Such a horrible habit.

Sadie via vB weekend, http://thetightropewalk-mom.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Wow, are they going to put the pictures on the box as well as the statements? I think that's great! It's amazing to me that anyone smokes anymore, given all the research.
I'm here from VoiceBoks - already following you.
Lisa

Unknown said...

Anything to get the real visual of what this addiction does to the human body is a good thing. Did you know that one of the many horrible chemicals in cigarettes is cyanide? I just think it is crazy how they are even allowed to sell this product, with or without the gruesome pictures.

Following you from VoiceBoks!~Lisa
I am all a twitter about life
Find Me on Twitter

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

I'm for it as well...anything to get it across to young kids that it is harmful to their life!

Found you via VoiceBok weekend :)

Becky McNeer said...

I like it! I learned how to smoke as a teenager and it was the dumbest thing I've ever done. I couldn't quit! Luckily I haven't smoked in a few years, but I blame the ads and movies. If Brad Pitt smoked, how could it be bad? http://homesandbabies.blogspot.com -Becky from VB

Unknown said...

These cigarette labels are straightforward and certainly tell the message that they are harmful and should be avoided. This is a very impactful message and it is hitting the nail on the head.

Glad to have met you and your blog via Voiceboks!

Anonymous said...

Whoa, you got my attention here and I hope that you can grab a teens's attention as well. Great, I love it!!! Glad to connect with you on voiceBoks.
have a Great awesOme Day!!!
Barbara
http://spanishforkids-jbplbarbara.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

OMG! I am soooo grossed out. I can't wait to show these pics to my kids!!!!! LOL

Sharon
http://sharon-moms-madhouse.com/

Staci said...

Both my parents smoke. sadly, I don't even think this will stop them. Terrible.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is just disturbing. The visual of those pics really bring it home. Makes me glad I finally quit smoking. Hopefully this helps to keep teens from starting and that it prompts others to quit!

Lisa from vB

Anonymous said...

I think they are a very good idea and I sincerely hope they discourage young kids from starting to smoke. I don't think they'll do much for current smokers, but we can hope!
Christina

Visit me at Spilled Milkshake

Visiting from voiceBoks!

♥ xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails