Monday, March 11, 2013

Take A "Peep" Into The Past




Who remembers loving marshmallows as a child?  Okay! I'll admit I still LOVE those marshmallow peeps.  So in honor of the "Peep" (and Easter), here are a few facts about Peeps:
  • Marshmallow Peeps are 59 years old this year (2013).
  • In 1953, it took 27 hours to create one peep.  Today, it takes six minutes.
  • This Easter, more than 700 million peeps chicks, bunnies, and eggs with be consumed b y men, women, and children throughout the United States and abroad.
  • Strange things people like to do with peeps: eat them stale, microwave them, freeze them, roast them, and use them as pizza topping.
  • Peeps come in five colors: yellow, pink, lavender, blue, and white.
  • Each peep has 32 calories (160 calories per five-chick serving) and 0 grams of fat.
  • The first Peeps were squeezed one at a time out of a pastry tube and the eyes were painted on by hand.  Now, machines create 3,500 Peeps' eyes per minute.
  • Yellow Peeps are the most popular, followed by pink, lavender, blue, and then white.
  • During Easter, Peeps outsell jelly beans.
  • Just Born's Bethlehem, PA factory makes more than 1 billion Peeps a year - that's 4 million Peeps a day.
Visit the peeps official website for delicious recipes for those leftover peeps.
 
And I hope everyone has a great Easter full of Peeps!
 
 


10 comments:

Pepper Tan said...

Those are interesting bits of info about Peeps. My daughter will want some of those even before Easter.

Dominique Goh said...

I've been seeing PEEPS on blogs these few weeks. They surely look yummy!!

Life by Cynthia said...

WOW I didn't know all of that about Peeps! I can't recall the last time that I ate one...

Christy Garrett said...

Thanks for the interesting history on Peeps. I remember putting the peep ducks in the microwave for a few seconds and they would puff up.

ReinaBorinquena said...

I'll be the first to admit I tried but just couldn't stomach those marshmallows. However, those facts really give perspective on how far manufacturing has come. Amazing.

April - My Bizarre Family said...

I LOVE peeps! But...not as much as my husband...which is scary! lol

Chris said...

Hi Laura, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Mimi @ Irresistible Icing said...

I love reading facts like that! I can't believe it used to take more than a day to create ONE Peep! Happy Easter!

misssrobin said...

Recipes for leftover Peeps? Who ever has leftover Peeps? Not at my house. My 22-year old daughter wouldn't think Easter were complete without her Peeps. She'll take care of any extras she finds.

I love that one of your facts was how many Peeps are made in Bethlehem (even if it's PA). Sounds to me like that means Peeps are the official Easter candy.

Happy Sharefest. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Adrienne said...

I remember those Laura but I'm not a big fan of marshmallows. I only prefer them cooked over an open fire or in my hot chocolate. Funny but those are the only ways I'll really eat them.

Thanks for the lesson, I can't believe they're that old.

~Adrienne

Related Posts with Thumbnails