Welcome to my "About Me" page.  First, I love the cartoon character Ziggy (it started as a child - I could always relate to this little man).  But my real name is Laura.

I'm a single mom of two daughters.  I worked as a full-time as a medical transcriptionist for 15+ years.  I have been in school full-time studying to be  a special education teacher. After seven years in school, I finally graduate on 
April 27, 2013!! (I graduated!!!! And I have a new job starting August 1!!)

In 1990, I was in a car accident.  I don't remember anything about this accident or too much of my life before the accident (and I have trouble remembering the day to day happenings now, unless I write it down).

I was only given a 2% chance of survival.  I suffered a severe head injury (hence the memory problems) and was in a coma for three days. I had a ruptured aorta and underwent open heart surgery. (My doctor told me that 98% of patients with this type of heart injury die before reaching the hospital, and of those who make it to the hospital alive, 20 to 30% die within the first 6 hours, 50 to 60% die within the first 24-hours, 80 to 90% die within the first week.)  I had a collapsed lung, fractured pelvis and multiple leg bones, lacerated uterus...I think that's all my injuries. 

Even though I don't remember this accident, just knowing I was so close to death has changed my whole outlook on life.  There is so much in life that really doesn't matter; material things do not matter, getting angry and stressing over the small stuff (and even the large stuff) is a waste of time.  Family and friends and my walk with God is what really matters. 

When I first started this blog, I really didn't know anything about blogging or what I would blog about, so my very first post was about being a
single mom.  After a couple of posts, I had no idea what to write about.  I go to work and to school, so my life right now is pretty boring, and I didn't figure anyone would want to read about it.

After doing some soul searching and talking to my daughter, Hollie, and getting her permission, I started blogging on what she went through as a troubled teen, such as self mutilation and her use of Triple C and attempted suicide, and my journey to bring her through this tough time.  A lot of her problems stemmed from the emotional abuse she suffered as a young child. 

Since raising teenagers in this day and age can be a scary and trying experience, even for the bravest of parents, I decided to tackle the dangerous teen trends of today.

Ziggy's Blog deals with some of the most dangerous trends that teenagers become involved in.  Ziggy's Blog discusses these trends, offering parents advice, some of which is from personal experience, showing parents signs to watch out for, how to talk openly with your teen, and  how to develop a closer relationship with your teen by being honest and aware of what is going on in your teen's life.

One of the main purposes of Ziggy's Blog is to help parents of tweens and teens become more aware of what their teenagers are having to deal with every day, because teens usually won't open up about what is going on in their life, so parents need to become "hands on" parents (as Dr. Phil says).  Teenagers really do need and want their parents guidance...even though they would never admit it. 

And as that old saying goes "it takes a village to raise a child", and we need to support each other in any way we can.

Besides these serious topics, I do blog about my life with my two girls.  I also do book reviews, a few give-aways, and I blog on other teen topics.  And I blog to bring awareness of human trafficking in America (one more thing we (parents) have to worry about).

Please take a look around, and if you have a question on a teen topic I haven't covered or if you need to contact me for any other reason, you can email me at:


You can also follow me on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ziggys-Blog/177914765608964

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/ziggy1962

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ziggy1962/

Thank you for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails